"No Root Screenshot It" is a new application just released on the Android market that allows you to take screenshots on your unrooted phone. You heard correctly, a no-root screenshot app for Android.
Before getting into the details, let's cover a little background on screenshots for Android. Taking screenshots on your Android phone has always been allowed on unrooted phones -- it's just been a bit of a pain to do. Once you install all the necessary software, including device drivers, adb, and eclipse, you used a tool called ddms to actually take the screenshots. Furthermore, your phone needs to be physically connected to your computer to take the screenshot.
"No Root Screenshot It" is an application that essentially does the same thing, but in a much simpler way. You simply install device drivers (for Mac users, this automatically happens when you plug your phone into your computer), and then install and run a desktop application called "Screenshot It Enabler". Once you do this, you can take screenshots on your phone whenever/wherever you want. There is one catch though -- each time you restart your phone, you need to re-run the desktop application, because your phone "forgets" its ability to take screenshots.
- Take screenshots on your phone without root!
- Take screenshots anywhere, even without being connected to a PC
- No system files are altered on your phone, so you won't run the risk of voiding your warranty by rooting
- Desktop application is required to enable screenshots on your phone. The good news is that this is only a one-time process, until you restart your phone
- Each time you restart your phone, it "forgets" its ability to take screenshots, so you have to run the desktop application again.
If your phone happens to be rooted, the normal "Screenshot It" application is still a much simpler way to go, as it doesn't require the desktop application. If however, your phone is not rooted and you absolutely need to take screenshots, this app is for you! Obviously, if you're one of those people who restart their phones frequently, this app might prove to be too inconvenient for you.
App can be found here:
Here are the complete steps on how to take screenshots on your un-rooted phone using this app:
- Make sure you have the necessary device drivers installed on your computer. You can find device drivers for your phone here. If you have a Mac, you can skip this step.
- Turn on "USB debugging on your phone" by going to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging"
- Plug your phone into your computer using a USB cable. If a message pops up on your phone asking to turn on "USB storage", do NOT do so.
- Download and install "Screenshot It Enabler" onto your computer. You can find the installer files here.
- Once installed, run the "Screenshot It Enabler" application and press the "Enable Screenshot" button
- Disconnect your phone from your computer and start the "No Root Screenshot It" app on your phone. You can now take screenshots!
Don't like to read? Here's a video summary.